CV - GULSEN OZER
Having worked extensively in the arts and community development sectors and withstanding a long history of collaboration in her arts practice, Özer is committed to the intrinsic and cultural value of the arts, as both a powerful process of deep inquiry and learning and as a social development tool.
- Commissioned to create a contemporary dance work with seniors from the Cardinia Shire region. Working in collaboration with the University of the Third Age and Cardinia Shire Council Art and Culture team. Commencing in June 2019 with outcome scheduled for October 2019.
- Delivered two large scale public art, visual art works to the township of Healesville, Victoria, Australia for the It Takes A Town' project commissioned by Yarra Ranges Council. Artworks included; 'Surrealesville' a mural style, socially engaged, pictorial artwork created in collaboration with Artist Andrea Innocent and a Healesville youth cohort, (size 30sqm) and 'Kids these days' a 18sqm billboard style conceptual text based artwork, also created with youth .
- Commissioned to create a site-specific performance work for Burrinja Cultural Centres 20th Birthday Celebration.
- Worked as an outside eye for Dani-Ela Kayler's new work 'Desquamate' ahead of presentation a HillsceeneLIVE Festival 2018.
- Contracted to plan, facilitate and deliver youth focused, socially engaged, temporary public art project for the 'It Takes A Town' project commissioned by Yarra Ranges Council, Healseville, Victoria (July 2018-June 2019).
- Commissioned to create 'Calling it' a participatory sculpture and sound work for 'Force of Nature'; an exhibition curated by Gretel Taylor and presented at Yarra Ranges Regional Museum, Vicotria (exhibition Sept-Oct)
- Commissioned to create site-specific contemporary dance work 'It's all about the sunshine' for 'Circling the Brink', PAVE Festival, Emerald, Victoria (April)
- Employed as sessional dance teacher for Aus Dance Australia's 'Big Dance' project; teaching choreography by Francis Rings and Craig Barry to all ages and abitities over 30 workshops in the Yarra Ranges Region (March-April).
- Comissioned to develop creative arts and heriatage project 'This is where it happened' for new Lillydale, Victoria site
- Comissioned to co-create a participatory dance installatiion for Yarra Ranges Museum called 'Dance X'
- Selected to participate in CREATIVE MEETING POINTS: MELBOURNE x HONG KONG. DANCEHOUSE INTERNATIONAL working with international artists during residencies in both Melbourne and in Hong Kong.
- Awarded Dancehouse Summer Space Grant to develop 'In Real Life'
- Performed 'Frame-Work' for Yarra Ranges Council Community Grants Award Night (Dec)
- Participated in an intensive one-week workshop for and with choreographers and lighting designers with Margie Medlin (Dec)
- Participated in A 1-week immersive creative workshop for choreographers and sound designers led by Madeleine Flynn and Tim Humphrey at Dancehouse, Melbourne (Nov/Dec)
- Participated in Dancehouse/US Residency exchange with Yanira Castro in the development of her work 'CAST' (Nov)
- Participated in Lucy Guerin Inc 2016 HOTBED #3 WITH FAY DRISCOLL (US)
- Awarded two arts and culture grants from Yarra Ranges Council to develop 'DANCE X' and 'This is where it happened'
- Presented a first development showing of 'In Real Life' at hillsceenLIVE festival with support from hillsceneLIVE, Yarra Ranges Council Small Grants Program and Yarra Art Rangers Network (YARN) Art Seed Pods Program (Oct/Nov)
- Worked as outside eye for Dani-Ela Kayler's development of her new work 'Leave.', presented at hillscenLIVE (Oct/Nov)
- Worked as outside eye for Viv Rogis new work 'The Whole Cake' presented at the Memo in Healesville, Victoria (Sept/Oct)
- Facilitated, promoted and produced community engagement project ‘Funky Flashmob’ culminating in flashmob pop-up appearances in Belgrave, Upper Ferntree Gully and Sasafrass. (March/April)
- Commissioned to create a new site-specific performance art work and installation art work titled ‘Frame-work’ for Circling the Brink – Convergence 1 at TarraWarra Museum of Art, Tarrawarra (Feb-April)
- Commissioned to create a new site-specific dance work called ‘Entrances and Exits’ for Circling the Brink – Convergence 2 at Telopia Gardens for the PAVE Festival (April)
- Commissioned by Yarra Ranges Council to develop a new site-specific work called ‘This is where it happened’ in Healesville for Dance Here program (March)
- Emerald Sound Festival Co-Director, Dec 10th (2015) - Feb 28th including pop-up wine bar and 28days of music event programming in Emerald (Dec 2015-Feb 2016)
- Youth Activities officer part-time contract Geelong City Council (Feb/March)
- PAVE Festival Committee Chairperson, coordinator and special events producer (festival dates April 10-17)
- Arts and Culture Sub-Editor and Writer for The Local Voice, Dandenong and Yarra Ranges print magazine (quarterly issues)
- Dancehouse, Melbourne Summer Intensive dance workshop teacher (February)
- Elected Cardinia Council Arts and Culture Reference Group Representative (ongoing)
- Dancer and collaborator in Vivienne Rogis’ new dance work ‘Pandora’s Box’ for hillsceneLIVE #3 experimental art festival, Monbulk
- Recipient of a 4-week summer space at Burrinja Cultural Centre’s Theatre Space for the development of new work.
- Dance Arc, youth dance company, summer school teacher
- Program Coordinator for PAVE arts festival
- Workshop Facilitator for ‘Circling the Brink’ site specific, multi-artform presentation platform
- Commissioned to create an new site specific performance work titled ‘The Nature of Nature’ for Circling the Brink, Telopia Gardens, Emerald
- Independent participant in Asylum Seeker Recourse Centre drama group. Collaborating on performance project Square of Light for Light in Winter Festival 2014
- Contracted sessional tutor at Upper Beaconsfield Community Centre for Special Needs Drama Group
- Facilitator of community engagement arts project, ‘The Motivate Project’ during Project Studio residency at Burrinja Cultural Centre. Culminating performance presented at HilsceneLIVE #3 at Mount Burnett Observatory, Mount Burnett.
- Independent participant in Diane Reid’s ‘Screen Dance’ PHD research group
- Independent participant in Ben Speth ‘Iliad’ project development
- Featured artist in the film 'Turn Your Fucking Head', produced by Independent Dance (UK), made be Director Becky Edmunds (UK) and recorded in Findhorn, Scotland, during Deborah Hay’s Solo Performance Commissioning Project
- Facilitated and directed ‘If you can dream it’ cross-cultural, inter-generational community dance project. Performed at the Black Box Theatre, Burrinja Cultural Centre for HillsceneLIVE #1, Upwey
- Program Coordinator for PAVE (Performing and Visual Arts Emerald) arts festival
- Creator PAVE Festival roving performance ‘The amber of the moment’
- Co-creator and performer in ‘The Nature of Nature’ for PAVE Festival curated program ‘Circling the Brink’
- Choreographed first development of MONO-MYTH for HillsceneLIVE #2, Belgrave.
- Exhibition event manager for Oya Ozer’s KAFES (Cages) exhibition, Ortakoy Council, Ortakoy Council Arts Building, Istanbul
- Dance training intensive Istanbul; studied traditional Black Sea Turkish cultural dance with Olgun Kamil Tura
- Presented and performed in solo dance performance “Dynamic” Choreographer Deborah Hay for GORUN Festival, CATI dans, Istanbul.
- Participated in a 6-month learning Exchange with Natalie Heller (Cyprus) in Istanbul, Turkey
- Collaborated with Asher Woodworth (US) in practice for Dynamic showing at CATI, Istanbul
- Collaborated with Laurence Nguyen in Paris in practice for Dynamic showing at CATI, Istanbul
- Participated in Deborah Hay’s (USA) Solo Performance Commissioning Project in Findhorn Scotland learning solo dance piece “Dynamic”
- Part-time, Mentor Support Worker, Connect Mentor Program, Asylum Seekers Resource Centre (ASRC)
- Part-time, volunteers Coordinator, Access 4 All Volunteer Program, CERES Community Environment Park
- Created and performed short work ‘Little Cloud’ in partnership with musician and puppeteer Danny Knox, for Garden on Unearthly Delights, Kids Comedy Gala, Adelaide Fringe 2011
- Contract, Coordinator, Crack Theatre Festival, Sub-festival of This is Not Art festival (TINA)
- Student Alexander Technique in Performance at Melbourne’s F.M Alexander School, 2011
- Curator, Sansli, multi-media exhibition, Studio 202, Melbourne, 2010
- Participated in Master Class and performance of Reptillian in Sydney with dance-theatre company Witness Relocation (NY) Nov 2010
- Performed in Ringside by Mem Morrison Co. (UK) presented at the Arts House Melbourne 2010
- Participated in Arts House Workshop exchange with Jochen Roller, (Berlin), Nov 2010
- Created ‘Dancing with Heart’ project in collaboration with Gareth Hart, Victorian Collage of the Arts (Melbourne University) 2010
- Resident, Solo Performance Resident at Victoria University, 2010
- Participated in Lab with Sandra Parker, Dancehouse, 2010
- Received a High Commendation in Best Performance for Iris, Melbourne Fringe 2009
- Facilitated as an assistant facilitator in dance/movement performance at with DVA Theatre Company; a theatre company for participants with a disability, 2009
- Nominated for an Australian Dance Award nomination for curated project Girls on Boys 2009
- Research assistant for dance publication written by Prof. Rachel Fencham, Monash University, 2009
- Participated in Lab with Jane McKernan, Danchouse, 2009
- Creation and performance of dance-theatre work Iris with Dani-Ela Kayler for 2009 Melbourne Fringe Festival
- Choreographed Phoenix for Moving Works Dance Season at Theatre Works Melbourne 2009
- Participated in Lab with Brian Lucas, Dancehouse, 2009
- Supported by the MAPS (Managing and Producing Services) program funded by Arts Victoria and Australia Council 2009-2011
- Served on the Arts Victoria Development Advisory panel,Collaborated and performed with performance company Phunktional (at the Arts Incubator) to present anti-bullying dance-theatre show Who Stole the Sole? to schools in
- Research assitant and project manager for South Project for Why Gather artists symposium, Asia Link Centre, Melbourne University
- Part-time Project Officer contract, L2P Youth Mentoring Program and Before the Drive, CALD support Program, at Lead On, Ballarat
- Comissioned to create and perform ‘Mr Wolf’ in ‘180 Seconds in Heaven or Hel’l curated by Beck Reid for Next Wave Festival
- Commissioned to curate self concieved ‘Girls on Boys’ a (Austrailan Dance Award nominated) short works dance program for Dancehouse, Melbourne
- Participated in research and practice Lab with Ros Warby at Dancehouse
- Participated in Choreo Project Lab with Antje Pfunter (Berlin), Chunky Move
- Received Australia Council Dance Board grant for professional development and for further development of dance work ‘Iris’ with Choreographer, educator and mentor, Rebecca Hilton (Aust)
- Performed in touring anti-bullying theatre show Bully Busters for Class Act Theatre, 2007
- Part-time Child care worker for 2-3 year olds, kindergarten aged children as well as a special support worker to a child with autism, at Tree House Child Care, 2007 – 2008
- Received Australia Council Dance Board grant for development of cross art-form collaboration for stage performance ‘Iris’
- Facilitated as a sessional tutor in dance/movement performance at Maroopna Secondary College, and Monash University
- Created and performed in highly commended dance-theatre work ‘insides/outside’ Melbourne Fringe Festival
- Performed in ‘Mr Subordinate’, presented at the Melbourne Arts Centre, Director Deborah Leiser Moore (Aust.)
- Performed in ‘D-Tales’ choreographed by Dani-Ela Kayler (Aust.) presented at the 3D Program at Dancehouse
- Part-time curator visual arts exhibitions and assistant manager to the Gallery, Alafia Gallery, Melbourne, (2002-2005)
- Contract, Facilitated as a sessional tutor in dance/movement performance at Monash University Melbourne
- Facilitated as a sessional tutor in dance/movement performance at Heide Museum of Modern Art
- Part-time project manager and research assistant, ‘Local Knowledge Project’, Linden Centre for Contemporary Art
- Completed Honours Thesis on ‘Drag King contemporary culture and practice in Sydney, Melbourne and the U.S.’ at Monash University, Melbourne
- Developed and performed drag king characters ‘Mr G.O.’ and ‘Mr Wolf’ and performed at King Vic, Richmond.
- Developed, remounted and performed in ‘I really want to be here’ at Malthouse Theatre, Melbourne
- Performed in’ Identity in Motion’, Conceived by Talya Chalef (South Africa) Melbourne Fringe Festival, Fed Square, Melbourne
- Curated and created performance installation, ‘Good Boy’, Monash Museum of Modern Art, Clayton
- Performed in ‘It’s only Rock and Roll but I like it,’ choreographed by Rebecca Hilton (Aust.) and presented at Monash University, Clayton
- Received Malthouse 3D Festival development award for devised dance theatre work, ‘I Really Want To Be Here’, Victoria University
- Co-created and performed in dance-theatre work ‘I Really Want to be Here’ presenting the work in an independent season at Anna Lorenzetto design space, Johnston St Collingwood for Melbourne Fringe Festival
- Completed Bachelor of Performing Arts with Majors in Theatre Studies, Visual Culture and a minor in Dance
- Artists Transformation School graduate, Auspicious Arts Incubator professional development course 2014.
- Solo Artist Resident – Victoria University 2010 & 2011
- Bachelor of Performing Arts, double major in Drama and Visual Culture (Hons.) and minor in Dance, Monash University, Melbourne 2004.